Monday, January 3, 2011
Hey! Show Some Manners!
Nestled in the back of a busy shopping center on upper State Street is a store that specializes in the peddling of 'inexpensive' toys, party goods, dollhouse furniture, hats, boas, candles that may or not actually burn, and a variety of household plants. The prices are good, due in part to the fact that almost every item has a Made In China sticker, not to mention-okay, I'll mention it-that the owners are undoubtedly buying these precious gems for $1.00 a gross. Remember, you get what you pay for. Items purchased at low prices are not built to last; you'll be lucky if that little 50 cent rubber snake is still in one piece when you get across the parking lot. The plants are nice, if not a bit overpriced...at least the ones that aren't dead yet. The dying plants are located on a table with bright neon tags screaming out their sale prices. It's very enticing-I always stop at that table and wonder what more harm I could possibly do to one of those pathetic little plants.
If you are having a theme party, then this is your place. There are banners and party favors for Baby & Bridal Showers (the babies sometimes come first), Chinese New Year lanterns and banners that I can't decipher; Hanukkah, Christmas, Mardi Gras, Easter, Cinco de Mayo, St. Patrick's Day...they have it all. Which reminds me...I must have a green sequined hat and a feather boa for St. Patrick's Day.
My most recent venture into this store was on December 18th. Having recently decided to make everything, absolutely everything, an event worth documenting (except highly sensitive private matters), I needed to visit this place for supplies. It was tamale making weekend and I needed a sombrero, a Mexican flag and anything else I could find to flaunt my heritage for this educational event. And as luck would have it, I had just finished another session of The Vein Project, so the camera was charged and ready.
Greeted with the typical grunts at the door by the owners, I made my way around the store, keenly aware of the watchful eyes on me. There is not a bare surface in that store: lanterns, banners, pinatas and boas hang from the ceiling. Beat up looking cardboard bins hold plastic rings, pencils, stickers, and an endless assortment of cheap toys. It's too much. And then...if you take a closer look, there are rude signs everywhere. Signs penned by Mr. Happy Shop Owner and his Missus. I imagine they sit together and try to come up with the wording for their hand made signs, posted on scraps of used paper and cardboard. For example, the frogs: I don't know what frogs are for, but they must be very special and valuable. Note the sign:
If you dare to even walk down the aisle with the shelves of dollhouse furniture, be very careful. You can look, but don't you freakin' dare rearrange the furniture. There was a time that dollhouses and furniture were considered toys; but not in this place. They are only toys after you buy them. Until then, watch yourself. There is nothing wrong with asking customers to be careful but why so many angry little signs posted everywhere?
You would think that the owners, the same ones who grunt as you walk in the store and get annoyed if you use a credit card or don't have exact change, wouldn't be shy about speaking up. Instead they post signs. And smarter people would read them and walk out. Not me. I needed the props for the tamale making. And when St. Patrick's Day gets closer, I'm going back there. And I think I'm going to post some signs of my own when I do.
**I am only reporting what I see. This has nothing at all to do with my Resolution #23 which states, "Remind myself that not everyone was taught manners and I was not put on the earth to teach them." But I may drop off a copy of this sweet little book.
And now Helix would like to sing a song on behalf of the owners of the store. The one located on upper State Street. Across from Harry's. In Loreto Plaza.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
To be fair, the first sign "Sorry, No Browsers Allowed...does NOT hang in the window of this store. I simply liked it and thought it should be included. Ms. M
those people are scary right-wingers. they loved them some dubya.
How often do you wear your sombrero
You are spot on with your descriptions, my friend. Too funny! I am always amazed these people are still in business! Haven't they been there since the mid-80s or so?! We're in an economic downturn... major corporations are belly up... yet these guys muddle by... too wild.
And don't go messing with their frogs!
Post a Comment