Sunday, January 2, 2011

What about MY favorite things?


I don't want a week-long cruise with a boatload of Oprah-following, hysterical prize winners. And thanks Oprah, but no thanks: ridiculous looking sparkly Ugg boots that are just plain FUgg-ly are not counted among my favorite things. As for Maria von Trapp nee Kutschera? Miss Maria knew exactly what she was doing when she walked into the von Trapp household...her sweet song about cream colored ponies? A weak attempt at disguising her wily ways and her brazen seduction of Captain von Trapp. What man could resist the short hair and the ridiculous Dirndl dress? That Maria! I know what her favorite thing was; I can't understand why she didn't include it in her pretty little song. I would-and The Sound of Music would have had a gazillion male fans.
      This movie is a big deal. And Oprah's indulgence of hysterical, needy people is even bigger. The movie plays non-stop from October to January, and every morning show force feeds Oprah's wonderful gifts down my throat with my liquid oatmeal. I got to thinking. What do normal, hard-working women count as their favorite things? I don't buy anything that could throw me into a state of hysteria. So tonight I looked around and came up with a few items that I love. Here they are:

Now, before you make any comment or judge me, let me say this: most of these items were gifts. The fantastic L'Occitane lotion set and Coach purse? Both gifts. Maybe from men. And maybe not. The gift card for a complete body massage with nothing covering me but a sheet? Not from a man, but to be redeemed in a comfortable room with a man. The candy? A gift. The Clairol nice 'n easy #118A Natural Medium Brown? A gift to myself, and yes, because I'm worth it. Sudoku? I buy these books every time I see them. Nerdy but I love, love, love them...never during business hours though...although I can only speak for myself. The other things? Just a few small things that make me happy. Relatively inexpensive. Always appreciated. Not necessities of life, but good things nonetheless. My favorite things. What would you rather have? A simple assortment of things that make you feel good but you can certainly survive without? Or, would you fancy one of these? A dude with his own tribe of precocious, stage-loving kids or sparkly FUgg-ly boots you would never honestly buy or wear yourself? I'll take my favorite things, thank you very much.
















And here is one of my favorite songs...




My next post: the recent trip I took to a not-so-customer-friendly Santa Barbara store. I've got pictures to prove it!

1 comment:

mdphd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.